Collegiate Baseball Newspaper
For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011
SLUGGER'S" PRE-SEASON ALL-AMERICAN BASEBALL TEAMS
TUCSON, Ariz. — The 2012 Louisville Slugger
pre-season All-American baseball teams, selected by Collegiate Baseball
newspaper, features a who's who of NCAA Division I baseball players.
The projected National Player of The Year is
catcher Mike Zunino of the University of Florida. He is a terrific defensive
player who hit .371 with 19 homers, 23 doubles and 67 RBI last season for the
Gators. Zunino is expected to be a first round pick next spring in the Free
The three All-American teams include:
- FIRST TEAM PRE-SEASON
- LHP Michael Roth, South Carolina (14-3,
1.06 ERA, 112 K, 41 BB in 145 IP)
- RHP Matt Price, South Carolina (20 SV,
7-3, 1.83 ERA, 75 K, 20 BB in 59 IP)
- LHP Sam Stafford, Texas (6-2, 1.77 ERA,
91 K, 42 BB in 81 1/3 IP)
- RHP Mark Appel, Stanford (6-7, 3.02 ERA,
86 K, 29 BB, 99 mph fastball)
- RHP Hudson Randall, Florida (11-3, 2.17
ERA, 73 K, 13 BB in 124 1/3 IP)
- RHP Karsten Whitson, Florida (8-1, 2.40
ERA, 92 K, 28 BB in 97 1/3 IP)
- Relief Corey Knebel, Texas (19 SV, 3-2,
1.13 ERA, 61 K, 12 BB in 55 2/3 IP)
- C Mike Zunino, Florida (.371, 19 HR, 23
2B, 67 RBI, great defense)
- 1B Adam Brett Walker, Jacksonville (.409,
13 HR, 23 2B, 75 RBI, 14 SB)
- 2B Ross Heffley, Western Carolina (.419,
11 HR, 18 2B, 65 RBI)
- 3B Tyler Hannah, Troy (.370, 7 HR, 27 2B,
- SS Deven Marrero, Arizona St. (terrific
defense, .315, 2 HR, 14 2B, 20 RBI, 10 SB)
- OF Victor Roache, Georgia Southern (.326,
30 HR, 10 2B, 84 RBI)
- OF Tyler Naquin, Texas A&M (.381, 2 HR,
23 2B, 7 3B, 44 RBI)
- OF Daniel Aldrich, Coll. of Charleston
(.347, 22 HR, 17 2B, 73 RBI)
- DH William Carmona, Stony Brook (.357, 6
HR, 27 2B, 40 RBI)
- UT Brian Johnson, Florida (.307, 11 2B, 5
HR, 29 RBI, 8-3, 3.62 ERA, 72 K, 15 BB)
- SECOND TEAM PRE-SEASON
- RHP Tyler Ray, Troy
- RHP Michael Wacha, Texas A&M
- RHP Ross Stripling, Texas A&M
- LHP Hoby Milner, Texas
- RHP Brady Rodgers, Arizona St.
- RHP D.J. Baxendale, Arkansas
- RHP Kevin Gausman, Louisiana St.
- Relief Michael Schum, Wright St.
- Relief Branden Kline, Virginia
- C Peter O'Brien, Miami (Fla.)
- 1B Brad Zebedis, Presbyterian
- 1B Christian Walker, South Carolina
- 2B Tony Renda, California
- 2B Devon Travis, Florida St.
- 3B Colin Moran, North Carolina
- 3B Kris Bryant, San Diego
- SS Kenny Diekroeger, Stanford
- OF Preston Tucker, Florida
- OF James Ramsey, Florida St.
- OF Michael Ratterree, Rice
- UT Austin Maddox, Florida
- THIRD TEAM PRE-SEASON
- RHP Kurt Schluter, Stetson
- RHP Kurt Heyer, Arizona
- RHP Adam Plutko, UCLA
- RHP Andrew Smith, Charlotte
- RHP Chris Beck, Georgia Southern
- RHP Eric Whaley, Miami (Fla.)
- RHP Buck Farmer, Georgia Tech.
- LHP Kent Emanuel, North Carolina
- RHP Justin Amlung, Louisville
- RHP Kyle Hansen, St. John's
- RHP Austin Kubitza, Rice
- LHP David Starn, Kent St.
- RHP Ty Blach, Creighton
- Relief Jake Boyd, Stetson
- Relief Michael Morin, North Carolina
- Relief Todd Hornsby, Jcksonville St.
- Relief Tony Bryant, Oregon St.
- Relief Caleb Reed, Mississippi St.
- Relief Scott Coffman, New Mexico St.
- C Josh Elander, Texas Christian
- 1B Jake Hibberd, Wright St.
- 1B D.J. Peterson, New Mexico
- 1B Casey Kalenkosky, Texas St.
- 2B Cam Schiller, Oral Roberts
- 2B Maxx Tissenbaum, Stony Brook
- 3B Trenton Moses, S.E. Missouri St.
- 3B Torsten Boss, Michigan St.
- SS Bo Cuthbertson, Southern Utah
- SS Nolan Fontana, Florida
- OF Tony Kemp, Vanderbilt
- OF Andrew Rash, Virginia Tech.
- OF Shaun Cooper, Utah
- OF Jeremy Baltz, St. John's
- OF Michael Lorenzen, Cal. St. Fullerton
- UT Marco Gonzalez, Gonzaga